Tuesday 2 July 2013

Terrific Tuesday?

Courtesy of leoniedawson.com

This morning, I approached my scales with some trepidation.  I felt I should weigh myself, as it's been three weeks since I started this blog, and I've only weighed myself once since.  On the other hand, when I pulled on a clean pair of jeans yesterday, they still felt horribly tight (don't you just hate how clothes tighten up in the wash!)  So, I composed phrases in my head about being at my highest weight since 2004 (which would only be a bit above where I was when I started this blog).

I weighed: 64.8k - 2 kilos down on my start point!  However, I suspect a lot (all) of that is to do with having sweated buckets overnight due to this cold/flu bug I've got...

BMI:  23.8


I felt: Snotty. I hate not being able to breath!


I thought: About something I read from Leonie Dawson. She talked about productivity hacks, and especially "Riding Wild Donkeys". By which she means getting an idea and sticking with it til it's done, even if it's not perfect, and then letting it go. For example, she created her first planner in four marathon create-aholic days. And that's all well and good, but there are a lot of things in life that just don't work that way! For example, weight loss is definitely not a quick fix thing. It's about creating a structure that supports you, and sticking to it. It's not fun and exciting, and it doesn't give you immediate results.  

However, I also thought about how it might be possible to apply some of that Wild Donkey theory anyway. Could I create mini-chunks of task that would be fun and doable in a short time period, and would build up to something. I can see that in my work context, and have been doing something similar the last couple days, giving myself a new impetus and motivation. Not sure how to apply it to weight loss, though, so any thoughts would be much appreciated!


I slept: 7 1/2 hrs in 3 chunks.


I worked out:  46mins static bike while watching Criminal Minds, 15 mins stretch and abs.


I ate:  75g choc chip cookies. Below 100g, yay!


I am grateful for:   Whatever motivation I can find, even if it is illusory.

6 comments:

  1. That creativity hack thing is cool. I have to try something like that. I have a very big problem with not sticking to things. I should tell myself that I can stick with things so I start to believe it. :)

    Grats on your good day--though sorry about the snottiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, like Eowyn says, the important point is about breaking things up into small enough chunks that you can stick with those...

      Delete
  2. Well done. A productivity hack must be similar to what those of us who don't understand tech used to call 'mini-goals'. This is useful for when you have a large amount of weight to lose and you break it down into 5 or 10 pound goals with a reward at each milestone. Is that sort of like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say, I'm totally unconvinced by the numbers, but we'll see. Still, at least it was encouragement not to pig out again...

      I think in part you're right, it's about mini-goals. Although she talked about things which she achieved all in under a week, building her business is an on-going thing. Still, while she could create a planner in four days, creating a tarot deck, for example, would normally take a lot longer than that. So I guess the question is how to break things down into inspiring chunks.

      Your idea about losing a certain amount of weight kind of makes sense, though I wonder whether something like saying I'll do 3 cardio workouts this week, or make fruit smoothies 5 days, mightn't be more helpful - you know pretty fast whether it's been achieved or not. Whereas 5 or 10 pounds could take months...

      Delete
    2. Well, whatever you measure by. Pounds is certainly faster than dress sizes, and most definitely (for me) faster than inches lost. I can lose 10 lbs before I see a budge on the tape measure.

      You can measure it in number of press-ups, number of smoothies, or whatever you like, I guess. :)

      I used to do number of days without chocolate or sweets. Go five days, get a prize. :)

      Delete
    3. I've hardly ever bothered with a tape measure - talk about a hassle. So yeah, I guess we'll stick with pounds (or kilos).

      And after five days without chocolate or sweets, what was the prize? :)

      Delete