Saturday 15 June 2013

Smoothies



I felt:  Sad in the morning, and angry later on (mainly due to hunger, I think).

I thought: About loads of silly stuff that just upset me. How to fit exercise into a weekend away? Will I ever look nice in clothes again? Tried to shop for clothes, but hated everything I tried (well, all two pairs of trousers).  

I think part of the problem was having my DH there. He loves me with him when he shops, as I hunt out things for him and encourage him. Whereas I hate having him there! I feel guilty about the time I take changing, and he's pickier than I am about what I wear - trousers must be boot cut, shouldn't be tight-fitting, nor low rise. While I agree that would be ideal, sometimes I'd just like to get some clothes that aren't stained, and accept that at this weight very little is going to look fabulous on me anyway.

I slept: 6 3/4 hours in 3 chunks. Tried to take a nap in the afternoon, but it was noisy inside and out (inside me, that is).

I did something new: Tried a smoothie (the one on the left) with almonds, yoghurt, passion fruit, raspberries and apple juice - not as filling as it sounded :(

I worked out:  58 minutes of yoga, just me and my mat.

I ate:  At a guess, 180g chocolate brownie.

I am grateful for:  Massages.

9 comments:

  1. I did the same thing the other day -- tried on two pairs of trousers, hated them. Gave up and went to Tea Monkey and had a mango smoothie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoothies don't fill me up either. They definitely don't work as a meal replacement for me. They make a nice snack, though, and it's a good way for me to sneak some fruits and veggies into my otherwise grain and cheese heavy diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's normally plenty of fruit and veg in my diet anyway, which is why I don't really worry about what I eat except for the chocolate and sweets. My breakfast was muesli and fresh fruit (at least two portions), while my DH chowed down on a full english breakfast: baked beans, toast, sausages, fried tomato, mushrooms, egg and bacon! Hence why this smoothie, which was more juice than smoothie, was a bit disappointing (I'd had breakfast a couple hours earlier - I'm a lark, he's an owl). Overall I'd agree, though, smoothies make nice snacks :)

      Delete
    2. Mmmm...English breakfasts. :-) My mother-in-law is English. When we go to her house for breakfast she fills us up for sure. I only just recently learned about beans on toast, though. (Is that the way your DH had them?) I had leftover baked beans in the fridge and my husband made some toast and put them on top. We all (the kids and I) laughed at him. I'd never heard of such a thing.

      He right away called his mum to tell her how funny we thought that was. When she returned from her last trip to the UK a few months ago, she brought my husband back a can of English baked beans.

      Delete
    3. Ha ha, yep, the beans came in a side dish, and DH tipped them straight over a slice of toast ;) Not being very English myself (my mum is German and brought me up with more of a German take on food and holidays), I've never really been into English breakfasts. I remember the first time I had one was the first school trip I took when I was 10!

      Nice the way some cultural things cross over when we move, keeps things interesting :D

      Delete
    4. You know, 'English' baked beans are actually an American product. They're exactly like what we call 'Pork and beans' where I'm from, in the Southern US.

      Showboat Pork and Beans:
      http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/94/00/02/0003940002843_500X500.jpg

      Heinz Beans:
      http://images1.mysupermarket.co.uk/Products_1000/81/003181.jpg

      Apparently Heinz (an American company) began production on the beans-in-tomato-sauce product (known as 'baked beans' in the UK) in 1959. http://www.heinz.co.uk/ourcompany/aboutheinz/heinzstory

      So if you want English baked beans, just go buy some Van de Camp's or Showboat brand Pork and Beans in Tomato Sauce. :)

      Delete
    5. Okay, a little further research reveals that Heinz beans were first sold in Fortnum and Mason in 1902 as an 'exotic foreign import.' http://www.heinz.co.uk/ourfood/beans/Didyouknow

      ha ha :)

      Delete
    6. Hilarious, Carla! Thanks for the "canned" history of baked beans :D

      Delete