Sunday 30 March 2014

Playing By My Own Rules

After my first son was born, I didn't work out for over six weeks.  But then, I didn't do much of anything but go to the hospital, doctor and therapist appointments, and try desperately to cope with the sudden shock of having a severely disabled child.

This time around, I remembered that people said you shouldn't exercise until after your six week check-up.  Yet in the hospital, a physiotherapist came around and gave me a sheet of recommended exercises (all Pilates-based).  That and the fact that I felt pretty good overall meant that I decided to workout my way.  So, in the ten days I've been home I've worked out at least a little on 8 days.  Mostly ballet, yoga and pilates, but I've done a few Firm workouts, too :)  


And I feel strong and good (other than a cough I picked up in hospital - typical!)  I did most of the Firm workouts with lighter weights than I would have while pregnant, though yesterday I did Rebekah Sturkie's Total Body Time Crunch with 4, 3 and 2k weights for heavy, light and medium.
Unfortunately, my eating hasn't been so great.  I feel like I shouldn't be eating sweets (well, I never think I should), because my son and I both had antibiotics, and there's a possibility he will get/has a yeast infection.  Adding more sugar to that isn't a good idea, but I just can't seem not to eat chocolate.  Partly it's probably for the energy, partly for the comfort as, though he's a lovely, calm child, it's still tiring and hard work.  Either way, I haven't even been tracking my consumption, just know that I've been having chocolate and biscuits every day, often after both lunch and dinner :(

11 comments:

  1. Well, I have been clicking around on blogs in part to avoid my plan for today of ending my LONG HIATUS from working out. But if a woman who just pushed an entire human being out her body can work out...well. What possible excuse can I have. Right then, Miss Thang. I'm going to do...something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed whatever you did :) Today, I did the cardio kick box workout from KCM's Total Body Kickbox, which I enjoyed much more than Train Like a Contender :D Though I had to stop 3 times to breast feed, which interrupted the flow a bit ;b

      Delete
    2. Three times in 30 minutes! Wow. That's pretty frequent. :0

      Delete
    3. Well, I suspect it was more for comfort/being half asleep and not feeding properly. Though I have also noticed that if I don't focus on him eating, he doesn't eat as well - a lesson in being present!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly inspiring! I am so glad for you that you are trusting your intuition! Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soldering on despite the frequent breast feeding! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soldier, not solder! You don't need to solder anything, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol @ MM's comments...good to hear you doing what feels right for you. I'm sure the light exercise will really help with that exhausted weepy feeling that so often comes after having a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only really had that on one day, while we were still in hospital. Fingers crossed it doesn't come back again!

      Delete